Monday, August 9, 2021

Light from Distant Stars: A Novel by Shawn Smucker

 

Book Description:  When Cohen Marah steps over his father's body in the basement embalming room of the family's funeral home, he has no idea that he is stepping into a labyrinth of memory. As the last one to see his father, Cohen is the primary suspect.
Over the next week, Cohen's childhood memories come back in living color. The dramatic events that led to his father being asked to leave his pastoral position. The game of baseball that somehow kept them together. And the two children in the forest who became his friends--and enlisted him in a dark and dangerous undertaking. As the lines blur between what was real and what was imaginary, Cohen is faced with the question he's been avoiding: Did he kill his father?

My Thoughts:  There are times when I begin reading a book and wonder, "What am I missing?"  This is such book.
I just could not understand what the author was saying in this story.  I was lost from page one.
Now if you're the type of reader who enjoys dystopia or "christian" science fiction, well, you may enjoy this read.
The story centers around the father of Cohen Marah.  Actually the story seems to be about the father...but, then again, I'm clueless about the story.  Just didn't get what was going on.
The author knows how to write, it is the story itself that I had trouble with.  Yes, I get that there was child abuse and the man wanted to let go of the ugly things.  However, the story part just never got to me.

  • Paperback: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Revell
  • ISBN-10: 0800728513
  • ISBN-13: 978-0800728519

No comments:

Post a Comment