Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Pink Bonnet: True Colors: Historical Stories of American Crime by Liz Tolsma

 

Book Description:  Widowed in Memphis during 1932, Cecile Dowd is struggling to provide for her three-year-old daughter. Unwittingly trusting a neighbor puts little Millie Mae into the clutches of Georgia Tann, corrupt Memphis Tennessee Children’s Home Society director suspected of the disappearance of hundreds of children. With the help of a sympathetic lawyer, the search for Millie uncovers a deep level of corruption that threatens their very lives.

My Thoughts:  This is the first story that I've read by Liz Tolsma and, hopefully, it won't be the last.
Wow!  What a story.  I had heard stories of children in Memphis, Tennessee who had gone missing but this True Colors: Historical Stories if American Crime filled in all the blanks for me.
This fantabulous story had my heart racing and my fingers readily turning the pages.
I had to stop a few times and catch my breath because I was so involved in the story.
Kidnapping innocent children and telling the parents lies just made my heart go cold. How could a person be so callous. 
This story is based on the true account of women, Georgia Tann, who stole children from 1924-1950.  And her accomplices who lied and covered for her.
Cecile Dowd maybe a fictional character but she popped off the pages as she grieved and looked for her kidnapped three year old daughter. 
And Mr. Vance, at first he seems so weak and mild but I loved the way he came through and showed his true colors.
If you only read one book this summer, I hope you'll choose the Pink Bonnet.
this read may be labeled Historical Romance but in my book I labeled it Historical Suspense.  There is just enough romance-not over done, just the way I like it.


  • Series: True Colors
  • Paperback: 256 pages
  • Publisher: Barbour Books 
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1643520458
  • ISBN-13: 978-1643520452

No comments:

Post a Comment