Monday, April 12, 2021

Joyful Surrender (7 Disciplines for the Believer's Life) by Elizabeth Elliott

 

Book Description:  In our age of instant gratification and if-it-feels-good-do-it attitudes, self-discipline is hardly a popular notion. Yet it may be one of the most important lost virtues of our time. In Joyful Surrender, former missionary and beloved author Elisabeth Elliot offers her understanding of discipline and its value for people of all times. 

My Thoughts:  I've always enjoyed Elizabeth Elliott's comments on the radio and her books.  
This book is quite interesting but I was a little taken aback at Mrs. Elliott's comments at times.  She seems a bit harsh in her "dealings" with humanity.  I realize that as we grow older that we, sometimes, see the world in a different way.  It seems that Mrs. Elliott views 7 Discplines for a believer:· 
* discipline your mind, body, possessions, time, and feelings
*overcome anxiety
*change poor habits and attitudes
* trust God in times of trial and hardship
*let Him have control in all areas of life

I agree with Mrs. Elliott that we need disciplines in our christian walk.  BUT we can't do all of these things on our own.  I'm not real sure but she seems like she's reformer/reformed...a person who makes changes to something in order to improve it.
It seems to me as Mrs. Elliott has aged that she has changed...she rambles in her story telling. I'm not sure the reader needs to know just where she is at each time she writes. 
To be honest I was bit disappointed in this book.  Guess I was expecting a more biblical view.


  • Paperback: 176 pages
  • Publisher: Revell
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0800729471
  • ISBN-13: 978-0800729479

No comments:

Post a Comment