Southerners and sweet potatoes go together like bread and butter!
And since my home is filled with southerners I make this WONDERFUL casserole from Taste of Home EVERY Christmas
I make it a day ahead, store in the refrigerator and bake right before Christmas dinner!
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 pounds (about 4 cups) sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed (I use 1 LARGE can of sweet potatoes)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I add 1 cup of pecans because they make it so nutty and good)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut (I don't use coconut)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, butter, eggs, milk, vanilla extract and sugar. Spread into a greased 1-1/2-qt. casserole.
- For topping, combine all the ingredients and sprinkle over potatoes. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.