October is Apple Month!
And this great recipe from Taste of Home is just right for a cool evening dessert!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons melted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.
- For filling, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add apples; saute until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Top bottom halves with apple mixture; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.